We recommend having your resources in place before introducing too many people in the school to Firefly, as subsequent changes can be confusing and off-putting.
Quick menu checklist
Here's a summary of the key issues to bear in mind. You can also refer to your demo site to see some typical menu examples.
- Keep menu titles short
- Aim to have between 4 and 7 top sections visible to students - beyond 8 sections means users will have to click to view all sections.
- You can have more subsections but likewise we recommend staying under 12
- Ask yourself if the navigation make sense for your students
- You can have links to internal school web services (e.g. webmail, library) and external websites either in the menu or on key pages
- You can set permissions on sections (but keep it simple). E.g. Staff section can be hidden from pupils