If you aren't using a management information system, student information system or student management system that has supported integration with Firefly, you can add your student, teacher, and parent data via uploading a ZIP file of CSV files.
Please share these pages with the provider of your MIS/SIS/SMS in order to create an export routine specifically designed to output the required data, without you having to do manual work in Excel or equivalent.
The format has been designed so that it will be possible to manipulate existing known export formats into the correct format for Firefly with the least work. In particular, there are a couple of different ways you can represent class data, to allow you to pick the most convenient one.
Create three CSV files for storing data about students, teachers, and parents.
As well as defining students, teachers and parents, you need to define groups for forms, years and classes. You can also define custom groups.
Before students can be placed into class groups, the groups themselves must be defined in the group list.
Once the users are defined, there are two ways to relate students to their parents. Choose the one that makes it easiest for you to create the CSV based on your existing systems and export routines.
Before users can be placed into custom groups, the groups themselves must be defined in the group list. Once the custom groups are defined, there are two ways to place users into groups.
Student and teacher timetables in Firefly are populated based on defined lessons for classes, rather than individual timetables for each user.
Student and teacher profile pictures can be uploaded using the related Bulk Upload Profile Pictures tool.
Unfortunately attendance, behaviour and reports cannot be imported via CSV and are only shown in Firefly if you are using a supported MIS with integration setup.
- Check the formatting of dates and times as this can cause upload problems
- Never use the same ID twice for any type of user
- We recommend using ID’s (Unique identifiers) rather than names where it is an option
- Keep a backup of your files.
- Users without email addresses will not be accepted.
- We would suggest using Unique ID’s from your MIS if possible.
- Lot’s of MIS systems may be able to help export this data to make it easier for you to create these CSV files.
- Remember to upload them all in a .Zip format each time you wish to update any information.