Before users can be placed into custom groups, the groups themselves must be defined in the group list. Once the custom groups are defined, there are two ways to place users into groups.
If you want to add students or teachers to class groups, please use the specific instructions outlined here. These instructions are only for non-class groups.
Choose the one that makes it easiest for you to create the CSVs based on your existing systems and export routines.
Option 1: Add additional columns to the existing CSV files
- Add extra columns to the teacher or student CSVs with headers that start with "Group" (the part after "Group" is ignored and for your own reference only). For example: "Group 1", "Group 2", "Group 3" or "Group Subject".
- For each teacher or student, place a group identifier (recommended) or its name in the relevant column(s). You can leave columns blank and they will be ignored.
Option 2: Add additional rows to a separate CSV file
- For linking teachers to custom groups, make a CSV file called
teacher-link-groups.csv. For students, call it
- Give these CSV files two columns: "ID" and "Group".
- Add additional rows to the CSV with the following format to put students or teachers in the custom groups. You will have multiple rows per custom group (one row for each student or teacher in each group). Leave all other columns blank in these new rows.
|Column header||Data type||Description||Example|
|ID||Text containing only characters a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and -.||The unique, un-changing identifier for the student or teacher, matching an existing student or teacher row in the CSV.||77977|
|Group||Text||The custom group’s identifier (recommended) or name.||
883891234 or English Teachers