Nothing beats face to face teaching, and Firefly does make it easier for teachers to use online conferencing tools like Zoom to set up class discussion online with their entire class.Working with Zoom a teacher might spend the first part of a 'lesson' introducing the topic with the class online and discussing any questions they might have, before the students then work on their assignments independently. Firefly forum pages are a good way for students to continue the discussion with their teacher as the lesson continues.
Embedding Zoom meetings into Firefly
Using the embed tool in the Firefly page editor makes it quick and easy to add an online meeting to your page. You will need to have a Zoom account - these are easy to set up and free accounts are available, (the only limit is that meetings cannot be longer than 40 minutes).
Once you have an account you will need to schedule a meeting.
- Give the meeting a title and a time.
- To make the meeting more secure, make sure the Require meeting password box is checked. You can share the meeting password on your Firefly page - in this way it will not be possible for people to join the meeting unless they have been able to log in to Firefly to see the password.
- Choose whether you wish to have video enabled for yourself and your students by default, (this can be changed once the meeting has begun)
Then click Schedule to set your meeting up.
Every Zoom meeting has a meeting ID, made up of three sets of three digits. You will need this ID to embed the meeting in your Firefly page.
- Use the code below in the embed tool from the Firefly page editor:
<div class="iframe-container" style="overflow: hidden; padding-top: 56.25%; position: relative;"> <iframe allow="microphone; camera" style="border: 0; height: 100%; left: 0; position: absolute; top: 0; width: 100%;" src=" "frameborder="0"></iframe> </div>
- Replace MEETING-ID with the 9 digit meeting ID, (do not include the hyphens)
- Click Done
The zoom meeting window is now embedded in your Firefly page. Once you begin the meeting in Zoom, your students will be able to join through Firefly. They will need to log in to their account and use the meeting password you have shared with them.